Dr. Charles Jago to mediate teacher contract talksMarch 28, 2012
Ministry of Education – Press Release
VICTORIA – In line with the provisions of Bill 22 – the Education Improvement Act, government has appointed Dr. Charles Jago to mediate contract talks between the BC Teachers' Federation (BCTF) and the BC Public School Employers' Association (BCPSEA).
As mediator, Jago will be guided by the best interests of students and the pursuit of high-quality learning as he assists the parties in negotiations. The scope of mediation is broad and will seek to address all issues outstanding at the bargaining table, including:
- Manner and consequences of class size and composition.
- Local-provincial split of bargaining issues.
- Effective feedback and evaluation of teachers to promote improvements.
- Alignment of professional development with teaching needs.
- Scheduling and selection of teachers suited to student needs.
Jago can help the parties arrive at compensation improvements, whether to wages or benefits, by looking for trade-offs within the contract just as other public sector unions have achieved under the net-zero mandate. However, contract proposals or agreements cannot impose net additional costs on the employer.
To read the full press release click here